YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT
That is right, within one year or few years your body has rebuild itself from scratch which means that every single cell in the body will die and get rebuild within one year, your body is therefore not the same today as it is tomorrow.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT ONLY ONE MEAL A DAY!!!!!!
- First of all eating only once a day will not allow you to eat the amount of kcal your body needs. You will maybe manage 500-600 kcal in one meal and for somebody who needs around 2000 kcal a day 500 is very little. Basically you are not getting enough of protein, fat, carbohydrates, nutrients, enzymes etc. And without these components your body doesn’t have anything to build from. So reproducing new cell, keeping up your body functions becomes very hard. Slowly your body will degenerate and the consequences are many.
- Protein serve the body as building blocks in the growth and repair of tissues, as enzymes in metabolism, as hormones, as regulators of body’s fluid balances, as transporters, as antibodies (fighting diseases) and in many other ways Even to build up muscles you need protein. As your body cant store excess protein after a meal you need it in small amount throughout the day. It means that by eating a big steak in the evening you might be getting a lot of protein but as you are getting it in ONLY one meal your body can only use part of it. You (women) can use approximately 20gr a protein after a meal, you need minimum 60-80gr/day and more if you are training. When you don’t get enough protein with the diet your body will use the protein you have in your muscles to keep up your body functions, this will lead to degeneration of the muscles, YOU WILL LOOSE MUSCLES, YOU ARE EATING UP YOUR OWN MUSCLE MASS
- Eating too little will affect your immune system. Obviously you are not getting enough nutrients to fight diseases around you. And this is the most dangerous side effects of under eating.
- By eating infrequently you slow down your metabolic rate. Your BMR indicates how many kcal your body burns a day and as I mentioned before you as a woman should be able to eat approximately 2000 kcal a day. When you eat less than you need your body goes into starving mode, the BMR slows down and you burn much less kcal than you should be doing. This is a defence mechanism that is crucial for your survival. If you eat 600 kcal and your body keeps burning 2000 you will die, it is as simple as that. Look at countries where there is little or no food available, People can live on for months, on hardly no food. What usually kills are the diseases that of course blossom in that kind of situations. So look at it like that, you eat 500 kcal and your body will slowly adapt to burn close to that amount of kcal. Now when ever you eat more you will put it on, meaning that you are now prone to put on fat. The most common reason for obesity is under eating, yes it sounds strange but it is true. When people go on a strict diet it affects their metabolic rate in a negative way, when they start eating normally again they put on weight because their body is now burning less than it used to. They go again on a diet and the same thing happens again, we call it jojo dieting and it is the most common reason for why people gradually put on more and more weight.
- To burn fat you need energy, it means that if you are trying to get cut, get rid of the excess fat on your body you need first to provide your body with energy. When your body doesn’t have enough energy it doesn’t burn fat as effectively, it burns protein (your muscles). Eating frequently is actually proved to be the most effective way to burn fat and it also allows you to burn the maximum amount of kcal your body can burn. It has to do with controlling your insulin level along with other hormones.
- By under eating or simply by eating seldom you are affecting your energy level. Your energy level will determine how well you perform at work, in the gym and it also affects your brain function so low energy level doesn’t allow you to use your brain as effectively. As your body adapts to a low kcal intake and infrequent kcal intake you won’t feel it much, you simply get used to having low energy. When you start eating properly and frequently, you will feel the difference.
- Your body needs food to recover after a gym workout. Now to understand why you need food after a workout you need to understand what happens when you train. When you put your muscles under stress you are actually damaging the cells, you are breaking down muscle tissue. This is how your body adapts to more and more stress, it breaks down muscle tissue and then it builds it up again but when rebuilding the muscle it is made stronger to be able to cope with the stress you just put on it. Now think about it, how do you build up the muscle?? With protein, so if you don’t get protein after a workout what happens?? Simply you damage the muscle and as it doesn’t have any fuel to build up again it doesn’t. It degenerates, it gets weaker!!!! So actually with training and no food you can diminish your muscle mass instead of increasing it.
- Under eating affects your mood. Oh yes of course, by eating too little you are even affecting your mood. Your body and your mind are directly linked together so what ever is happening in your body will affect your mind. Under eating usually makes you irritated, depressed and in general unhappy.
I have now in these few words tried to explain to you the importance of:
1. Eating enough
2. Eating frequently
I haven’t said anything about what to eat and when to eat it. Let me just in few words explain to you how you can eat healthy.
Your food is made of follwing: Carbohydrates, fat, protein and water. In addition to this you will find micronutrients like vitamins, minerals and enzymes that are all essential for your health.
Carbohydrates you need for energy, they are also important for a proper protein uptake. Without carbohydrates it is difficult for your body to function at an optimal level, you will feel tired, irritated and it affects your brain function. Also without carbohydrates your body is more prone to use protein as an energy source which basically means that you eat up your own muscle mass.
The different kinds of carbs will take too long to explain so lets just say that by eating whole grain, fruits and vegetables you are ensuring an optimal nutrients intake, optimal fat burning and optimal energy level. Eating the wrong carbohydrates will affect your fatburning, your nutrients uptake, your energy level and your overall health.
Beans (partly protein, partly carbohydrates)
Protein serves as building blocks for the body and is therefore essential for your health. I have already explained the main function of protein. Protein is also different in quality and some sources are better to build up new cells than other. The best protein is the whey protein that originally comes from milk. Specially designed whey protein has given optimal results in recovery after workout and is therefore frequently used by those who are interested in building up their bodies. The best whey protein on the marked is called ion exchange whey protein…..
Fat is also essential for our health and survival but not any kind. Some fat will affect our health negatively usually referred to as the saturated fat while other fat, the unsaturated fat has numerous benefits. The saturated fat is mainly found in meat and milkproducts. Coconut has also saturated fat but some recent studies have shown some benefits of coconut as it has medium chain fatty acids and are more easily digested and used an energy source than normal saturated fat.
The healthy fat (the unsaturated) is found in fish, oils (not all oils are healthy though because of how they are processed), nuts, seeds and avocado.
The last part of this education is putting it all together, what to eat when:
Breakfast should be based on carbohydrates as this is when you need energy to kickstart the metabolic rate.
Should also be mainly based on carbohydrates as your body is still in need of energy. Either the morning or the breakfast meal should include some protein as you need the protein in small amount throughout the day.
Lunch should be equally based on carbs and protein. It is also essential to include vegetables in this meal. Salad is not enough.
More protein based meal is more appropriate as your body’s metabolic rate is now slowing down and your need for energy is diminishing. It depends though on your training. You should always have carbohydrates before you train so if you are training in the evening or in the afternoon some carbohydrates are essential in this meal
More protein and vegetable based meal. You need protein at this time as it is during the night your body is rebuilding itself.